Find out about: Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

About Us

Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

The Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre is situated in the Old Bovey Station building, which was in use for rail passenger traffic for nearly 100 years.
The Centre is run entirely by volunteers and is funded by grants, donations, bequests, sales and local fund raising events. Local Volunteer Helpers are welcome, not just at the desk to greet visitors, but to help with refreshments, painting, keeping the weeds down and other various maintainance items.

The Heritage Centre will reopen on Saturday 5 th of April, and will close at the end of October 2014.
Parking and Entry are FREE.

If you have any queries please contact the secretary on 01626 834331, or by post to, The Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre, St Johns lane, Bovey Tracey, Devon. TQ139YJ or Email, bovey@devonmuseums.net

VISIT WEBSITE  

Back to search results

Facilities

  • Parking available

    Parking Available

  • Toilets On-Site

    Toilets On-Site

  • Wheelchair access

    Wheelchair Access

  • Childrens activities

    Family friendly

  • Gift Shop

    Gift Shop

Books, cards, notelets, pictures, plants, etc. for sale.

Our Next Event

Reopening of Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

Reopening of Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

When: 04 April 2014 to 01 November 2014
Where: The Old Railway Station, St Johns Lane, Bovey Tracey, TQ13 9YJ

The Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre will re-open on  Saturday 5th April 2014.  The new season's exhibition will feature WW1 exhibits and photographs.  Opening times will be daily 10am - 4pm Monday to Friday and Saturdays from 10am to 12noon.  Private Groups are welcome but booking beforehand is essential especially if refreshments are required.  School visits must also be booked beforehand.

ADMISSION AND PARKING IS FREE TO VISITORS

The Centre will close at the end of season on 1st November, 2014.

more events

Click the button above to add this museum to your MyMuseum wish list. Once added you can choose to save this for future visits or email the Museum details to a friend.


Our Collections

The exhibits for the 2014 season will include events of 1914, first world war artefacts, trench art and propaganda. Other exhibits are based around local industry such as pottery, agriculture, mining and the Moretonhampstead branch railway line.

The following pictures show some of our permanent and external exhibits.

The Toad GWR brake van contains a model of the Moretonhampstead station. But its opening times will be depenent on availability of volunteers.

 

Reversible Balance Plough

This plough is made to be reversible, this means that at the end of a furrow the plough can be tipped over to use the upper plough unit to contact the grounnd and work across the field ploughing in the opposite direction, thus saving the time taken by ordinary plough in turning.

Reversible Balance Plough

Model of Bovey Tracey Railway Model

There are two 00 gauge models of stations on display. There is a model of Bovey Station as it was just before the Moretonhampstead line was closed; it is in the main room of the original station building. There is also a model of the line’s terminus at Moretonhampstead Station, at about the same time. This is housed in the GWR “Toad” brake van No 114906 which is on display in the station forecourt. Access to the brake van is by request at present and depends on the availability of staff.

Model of Bovey Tracey Railway Model

New entrance gate.

A new gate has been made and installed, it has been made in the style of level crossing gates used on the GWR since its early days.

New entrance gate.

GWR Brake Van

Brake van installed in the car park at the Heritage Centre. Great Western Railway, twenty ton, ‘Toad' brake van, number W114906, manufactured at Swindon in the early 1930's, has found a new home after about 55 years working and 25 years in semi-retirement.

GWR Brake Van

Remains of Salt Glaze Pottery Kiln.

The remains of a Salt Glaze Pottery Kiln, dating from about 1760. The kiln was discovered at Fore Street Bovey Tracey in 1932, with several unfinished and kiln-damaged salt-glazed pots. The kiln has now been moved from Heathfield Candy Tile Works to Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre.

Remains of Salt Glaze Pottery Kiln.
view next slide
1 2 3 4 5

Our Latest news

  • How to get to Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

    26 July 2011

    How to get to The Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre. Tourist Direction Brown Signs have been in...read more

  • News about Collection Item 01 Introduction

    30 June 2011

    Please Click on Picture., ...read more

more news

Admission & Prices

FREE ADMISSION AND PARKING
Donations Welcome.

We are open at the following times, until the end of October 2014.

Mon - Fri: 10.00 -16.00 (10 am - 4 pm)
Sat: 10.00- 12.00 (10 am - 12.00, noon)
Sun: Closed.
Opening will be dependent on the availability of volunteer stewards.

MEMBERSHIP
Costs of membership of the Bovey Tracey Heritage Trust are:-
INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP £8.00 per annum.
SENIOR CITIZEN or under 16 £5.00 per annum.
JOINT MEMBERSHIP £12.00 per annum.
JOINT MEMBERSHIP, Senior,
both partners over 60 years old. £8.00 per annum.

Bovey Tracey Heritage Centre

Bovey Tracey Heritage Trust
The Old Railway Station
St John's Lane

BOVEY TRACEY, DEVON TQ13 9GP