Dawlish Museum

Dawlish Museum

With 11 rooms over 3 floors the Museum is famous for its display of Piper Bill Millins' D-Day bagpipes. Packed with artefacts the displays in Dawlish Museum are regularly updated and depict life past and present in the town and notably tell the story of the February storm of 2014 which severely damaged the railway line.

A vast archive of 100's of rare historical photographs can be seen in album form or on the PC. Children as well as adults are well catered for and there are many fun activities just for them,such as dressing up outfits,brass rubbing and the new cygnet trail .This years new display features christening gowns going back over a 100 years and the childhood room has been updated.

  • Great Storm Display

    The 'Orange Army' under attack from the huge waves during the storm of 2014. The Great Storm exhibition has rolling video and pictures telling the story of the storm and it's aftermath.

  • A Dawlish Childhood

    What it was like growing up in Dawlish over the past 100 years.

  • Library

    Piper Bill Millin, who piped the troops ashore on Sword Beach , D-Day 1944. The library houses a huge collection of old and new photos of Dawlish as well as looped video about the life of Piper Bill.

  • Christening Display

    New for the 2019 season is a beautiful display of christening gowns through the ages .

  • Bygone Kitchen

    This beautifully re-created bygone kitchen displays all the mod cons of a former age, including a black leaded kitchen range and many other artefacts.

Admission & prices

The Museum is open from May until the end of September.
Open Wednesday to Friday from 10.30 am until 5pm and Saturday / Sunday from 2pm until 5pm.
( Please note last entry is at 4.15pm ) We are closed Mondays and Tuesdays, except August (when we are open every day )

We are happy to respond to email,telephone or Facebook requests and queries.(See our contact details below)
New this year we feature a display of children's christening gowns through the ages and an updated display on a Dawlish Childhood.
Every room has been re-vamped and improved for the forthcoming season and there is lots to see and do whatever your age.
There are disabled facilities including a disabled toilet with wide access, a stair lift to the first floor and a spare wheelchair available to use.
Access to the small garden is available upon request ( weather permitting)


ENTRY PRICES
Adults - £2
Concessions - £1
Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children) only £5
and valid for a full 7 days with Free return for one week.

Find us

Museum news

View all news articles

  • Cheque presentation

    Cheque presentation

    The museums vice-chair Andrew Wright (left) was delighted to recieve a cheque for £300 from David Gearing of the Local History Society from funds raised at a recent talk organised by them at the Shaftesbury Theatre......

    Read article

  • The D Day Bagpipes

    The D Day Bagpipes

    Thursday the 6th June will be the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings and here at Dawlish Museum we are proud to be the home to the original bagpipes played by Piper Bill Millin as he disembarked onto Sword Beach and ......

    Read article

Information

  • Parking available
  • Toilets On-Site
  • Wheelchair access
  • Childrens activities
  • Gift Shop

Wheelchair access to Ground Floor and wheelchair friendly toilet facilities. Stair lift to First Floor and spare wheelchair available.
There is also a pleasant garden. (Steps down to garden but side gate can be opened upon request )

The Knowle was built between 1811 and 1839 by a Mr Upham on the knoll overlooking the river .It was for sale in 1840 and described as:
“ situated in a shrubbery and garden and commands a beautiful view of the Valley of Dawlish and the sea, the latter within 4 minutes walk. The house contains breakfast room, dining room, drawing room and 4 best bedrooms and closet, servants bedrooms, kitchen, pantry, china cabinet, underground cellar and other convenience.''
In 1847 the lower part of the grounds was sold to the Dawlish Gas Company but the house and garden were improved and it was then leased out. The next tenant was Dr Charles Lovely, who had his surgery in the house,as did all the local doctors,before the health centre was built in 1970.
In 1913, Dawlish Urban District Council bought the house for offices, where they remained until 1946 before moving to the Manor House. It remained as a clinic and the Museum took over the first floor in 1969,before later occupying all the building.

Dawlish Museum Society
The Knowle
Barton Terrace
Dawlish
DAWLISH
EX7 9QH

T: 01626 888557
E: info@dawlishmuseum.co.uk

Our videos Click on the play button below to view our videos

Podcast

Interview with Piper Bill Millin

The interview gave Piper Bill a chance to describe the happenings at Sword Beach during the D Day Landings

Name Time
1 Interview with Piper Bill Millin - Part 1 3:33
2 Interview with Piper Bill Millin - part 2 3:57
3 interview with Piper Bill Millin - Part 3 4:11
4 interview with Piper Bill Millin - Part 4 3:30

Back to search results

Dawlish Museum

Dawlish Museum Society
The Knowle
Barton Terrace
Dawlish

DAWLISH, DEVON EX7 9QH