Views of Old Countess Wear

Views of Old Countess Wear
Topsham Museum

When: 31 March 2019 to 31 October 2019
Where: Tea Room
Time: 1400 - 1700
Cost: No charge
Suitable for: Any age

Have you ever wondered how Glasshouse Lane got its name?  In the Museum Tearoom we currently have a collection of photographs, prints and orginal paintings of Countess Wear.  Look for the limekilns on the beach and spot the glasshouses - 30 metre high cones where wine bottles were made and the furnaces were never allowed to cool.  From mansions to thatched cottages, see wht Countess Wear looked like before people had cars.

The village like parish of Countess Wear was originally a part of Topsham. The village had gained some importance when it became the subject of a disputed weir in the thirteenth century, and as such, became the centre of disputes between Topsham and the City of Exeter. Although the church of St Luke's had been built in 1837-8 at a cost of £900, it was not until  1844 that it became a separate parish.

The area was named after Isabella de Fortibus, the Countess of Devon, who in the reign of Henry III, built the weir to power her mills. Subsequently, the salmon fishery at Exeter was damaged, causing friction between her successor, and cousin, Hugh Courtenay and the city. Hooker states that Hugh Courtenay deliberately blocked the gap with tree trunks between 1317 and 1327, and in effect, cut the port of Exeter off from the sea and enabled Topsham to steal the maritime trade of the Port of Exeter.

For more than 250 years the dispute dragged on, with the city petitioning the King to have the waterway reopened. In 1550, Edward VI granted permission for the weir to be breached, but it was too late; the river channel had silted up. Building the Exeter Ship Canal commenced in 1564 and opened in Autumn 1566, by John Trew. This was England's first canal with pound locks. Its original entrance was at Countess Wear, before the canal was extended further down the Exe estuary, initially in 1676 to Topsham, and to Turf Locks in 1827, to allow larger ships to enter.

The road and river bridge bisects Countess Wear, with the main village to the north and the Glasshouse estate to the south. An Act for the road "... from Bear's Hill Oak Corner, in the Exminster Road, to the Red Post in the Topsham Road and building a bridge at the Ford at Countess Wear" was obtained and on 1st June 1769, the first planning meeting took place at the Salutation Inn, Topsham. The bridge was built of limestone at the lowest fording place of the river and opened on 14th September 1774. Despite the toll of 1 shilling for a coach and six horses, 10 pence for a score of oxen and a penny per person, it would not be until October 1874 that the last creditor would be finally paid off.

The Topsham Road which forms the traditional north-eastern boundary of the parish dating back to Roman times. It was an important route for pack horses and carts both before the canal, and also during the canal's working life. The road was first macadamedin 1819 when a contract was signed between the Turnpike Trust and Mr J L McAdam. Where the Wonford stream crosses the road at Northbrook a bridge was built in 1840.

 

Exhibition Gallery

Exhibitions & Projects

  • Bedwyr Williams at RAMM

    Bedwyr Williams at RAMM

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    21 July 2018 to 30 April 2019

    View details

  • Extraordinary Women of Teignmouth and Shaldon

    Extraordinary Women of Teignmouth and Shaldon

    Teign Heritage Centre Home to Teignmouth and Shaldon Museum

    08 March 2019 to 04 May 2019

    View details

  • Sam Boughton's Devon

    Sam Boughton's Devon

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    05 March 2019 to 26 May 2019

    View details

  • Extreme Imagination: Inside the Mind's Eye

    Extreme Imagination: Inside the Mind's Eye

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    30 March 2019 to 02 June 2019

    View details

  • Czigane by Bik Van der Pol

    Czigane by Bik Van der Pol

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    30 April 2019 to 16 June 2019

    View details

  • Journeying to Light: The Mosaics of Elaine M Goodwin

    Journeying to Light: The Mosaics of Elaine M Goodwin

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    10 April 2019 to 23 June 2019

    View details

  • Teignmouth Railway Exhibition   Poetry Competition

    Teignmouth Railway Exhibition Poetry Competition

    Teign Heritage Centre Home to Teignmouth and Shaldon Museum

    08 April 2019 to 29 June 2019

    View details

  • Local Art Show 2019: Migration

    Local Art Show 2019: Migration

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    12 June 2019 to 30 June 2019

    View details

  • What Do You Collect Detectorists

    What Do You Collect Detectorists

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    09 April 2019 to 07 July 2019

    View details

  • Around the World

    Around the World

    Tiverton Museum of Mid Devon Life

    24 January 2019 to 31 August 2019

    View details

  • Ipplepen: New Discoveries on the Edge of the Roman Empire

    Ipplepen: New Discoveries on the Edge of the Roman Empire

    Torquay Museum

    16 March 2019 to 07 September 2019

    View details

  • Crediton Station: A Brief Encounter

    Crediton Station: A Brief Encounter

    Crediton Area History And Museum Society

    10 April 2019 to 26 October 2019

    View details

  • Countess Wear Paper Mill

    Countess Wear Paper Mill

    Topsham Museum

    30 March 2019 to 31 October 2019

    View details

  • Views of Old Countess Wear

    Views of Old Countess Wear

    Topsham Museum

    31 March 2019 to 31 October 2019

    View details

  • Fairground Art

    Fairground Art

    Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre

    16 February 2019 to 02 November 2019

    View details

  • ECFC A to Z of Players

    ECFC A to Z of Players

    Exeter City Football Club Museum

    01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019

    View details

  • History of St James Park Project

    History of St James Park Project

    Exeter City Football Club Museum

    01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019

    View details

  • ECFC Museum Project

    ECFC Museum Project

    Exeter City Football Club Museum

    01 January 2019 to 31 December 2019

    View details

  • Exeter's Fine Art Collection: A Sense of Place

    Exeter's Fine Art Collection: A Sense of Place

    Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery

    18 June 2019 to 15 March 2020

    View details